1. CEO Jeff Bezos’ perfect understanding of the limitless nature of the Internet.
2. Amazon’s efforts to gain customers via multiple entry points and “own” them.
3. The seamlessly integrated ecosystem built by Amazon to create customer lock-in.
Over the years Amazon has remained my eCommerce beacon, a company I’ve admired both as an observer and as a customer.
Many people thought I was silly when I repeatedly said so. Amazon’s success was visible to everybody, but it has lasted for so long that it sounded a bit “tired” to acknowledge it. To me, if Amazon was ever a hidden empire, it was hidden in plain sight!
My take on Amazon’s 3 greatest traits:
1. True customer centricity: Customer care is not an empty word at Amazon, it’s an operating reality and a major driver of innovation.
2. Unconditional innovation: By that I mean the ability to pursue continuous improvement — constantly tweaking to retain one’s edge — up to its ultimate consequence of disruptive innovation — calling the core business into question to move forward, for example by introducing the Marketplace.
3. Massive (technology) investment: Amazon is serious business which puts its money where its mouth is and invest billions in infrastructure and developments.